Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Some days you feel it, and others you don’t


I know how this goes with cycling, but I’ve never really understood it.  Some days I feel really strong even if maybe I didn’t get enough sleep or I've been off the bike for awhile, or have had a bunch of other stuff going on.  But then other days I think, “This’ll be a great day, I’ve been training well, eating well, sleeping well…” and then I go out there and it feels like I’ve got bowling balls for shoes.

Brenda had a day like that today.  She didn’t cough very much last night, and had a good night’s sleep (even though we were both up before the alarm went off).  We’d had a good ride on Sunday afternoon; the weather today was beautiful—all the ingredients for a spectacularly strong ride.  But somehow she just didn’t feel it today.  She still did 40 miles, and pulled on the way to the ride and on the way home from the ride.  But during the bulk of the ride she just didn’t have that I-can-go-any-speed-I-want feeling that we get sometimes.

But you know what?  That’s just the way cycling is.  Some days you’re off, some days you’re on.  And some days get rained out.  And it’s still a great way to spend a morning, especially on a nice day.  I won’t be at all surprised if on Thursday she's back on her game.

No comments:

Post a Comment