Thursday, January 19, 2012

Temperature is sooo relative


Like I said, I didn’t use to go out if the temperature was below about the mid-50s.  But Brenda is all about this thing, so she has been heartily embracing the upper- and even mid-40s.   This morning the app on her phone said that the temperature outside was 52 or something like that, so she was all set to go.  We both got a good night’s sleep last night and woke up before the alarm.  She was ready, and when I walked out the door to go to work my first thought was, “This sure doesn’t feel like 50s.”  It felt dang cold to me.  I had my fleece jacket zipped up all the way and the heater on in the car the whole way to work.  *But then I'm such a sissy when it comes to the cold...)  By the time I got to work the sun was at least all the way up, but when I got out of the car and walked across the parking lot I thought, “This still doesn’t feel like the 50s.”

But I knew the wheels were already in motion by then and Brenda was well on down the road.  I know it was cold to her too though, because she told me afterward that when she got to the meeting place nobody was there yet, but she couldn’t just stand and wait.  She had to keep moving to have any chance of staying warm so she road down the road a couple of blocks and around a loop just to keep active until the others showed up. 

So she got in her miles today, riding to the ride, riding the ride, and riding home from the ride—43 miles.  But she still isn’t quite back to 100% yet—still has that loose, hacking cough.  Not as bad as it was over the weekend, but not as good as being over it, either.  Tomorrow is a Friday off for me, so we’ll get in some miles but we’re meeting some people new to riding in this area so we’ll probably go fairly short.  And then this weekend we’re kind of booked up, so we might end up with a couple of short weeks in a row.  But the goal is still the goal, and she’s not discouraged about any of it.  Let’s ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment